Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Lọc
  • Giờ
  • Show
Clear All

• I found that, I am a "core-dump" man in Vietnamese, but a reticent one in English ! ?
    Chưa đỗ tú tài, nên vẫn còn phải đi học.

Comment

• ESL or Bilingual

Back when I was an ESL student, I always used English-Vietnamese dictionary. All the Vietnamese dictionaries back then were not up to date. As a result, I had to ask people who came here before me for translation. My uncle who was fluent in English told me not to use E-VN dictionary. He told me to use E-E dictionary because it was up to date (as compare to E-VN dictionaries, which were printed before 1975). In short, he told me to learn English in ESL way and not the bilingual way.

I practiced English this way. I use E-E dictionaries most of the time, especially for technical terms.

When I first joined this forum, I have hard time understanding many technical terms because I don't know them in Vietnamese. Of course the basic terms like cap, resistors, transistors, etc. I already knew them when I was in VN. But new things like CPU, MPU, registers, op code, etc. I have not a clue.

Even before this forum, my coworkers and I face the same thing when talking to each others. We use Vietnamese most of the time, but have to use English when it came to things like PVD, CVD, WF6, Op Amp.

I have kind of forseen this problem when I was in school. When Vietnamese students talked to each other about Calculus, for instance, we always used English words which we didn't know in Vietnamese. Words like matrix, statistic, etc. But at that time I did not have much choice, my pocket dictionary was by Le Ba Kong printed in the 70s.

But now I have a choice. I still don't have any techical dictionary, but I have the internet, and especially this forum. I can look up the word in Vietnamese when needed.

I don't think it was a mistake when I started to learn English in ESL style. I don't consider Bilingual to be inferior or superior. ESL was my choice (sort of) and it suited my needs.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi HTTTTH Xem bài viết
        I found that, I am a "core-dump" man in Vietnamese, but a reticent one in English ! ?
        I'm sorry I don't understand "core-dump" in this context. I only see this word in software debugging.

I think engineers generally don't explain themselves very well. Their thought and their language capability don't match up.

What is your line of work HTTTH and Paddy?

Comment

• core dump = a) kết xuất bộ nhớ/ = b) câu trả lời dài dòng cho câu hỏi ngắn (theo E-V dictionary)

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi jefflieu Xem bài viết
            I'm sorry I don't understand "core-dump" in this context. I only see this word in software debugging.

I think engineers generally don't explain themselves very well. Their thought and their language capability don't match up.

What is your line of work HTTTH and Paddy?
            I work for a small semiconductor company. What about your line of work ?

Comment

core dump = a) kết xuất bộ nhớ/ = b) câu trả lời dài dòng cho câu hỏi ngắn (theo E-V dictionary)
              If used as a slang, core dump means to defecate.

I don't know if it has other meaning in slang.

Comment

• Man, I rely on "notification" sent to email to see if there's new post. Somehow I missed it and left the chat unattended. My apology!
                I'm working for HP Networking in Singapore, doing FPGA logic design.
                Let me know if you come to Singapore, I may have time to show you around!

Comment

• How are Engineering Jobs in US? Competitive? Stressful?
                  It's the land of technology ... dreamland for Engineers?

Comment

• What about you Mr Ape! ? ... pursuing some postgrad degree?
                    I remember downloading IEEE papers for you, which content is alien to me

Comment

How are Engineering Jobs in US? Competitive? Stressful?
                      It's the land of technology ... dreamland for Engineers?
                      There are jobs, but not as many as before.

Since there are so many people out of job, competition is very high. Employers know this and are very picky.

It all depend on the jobs. I see test engineers stay late past midnight for hot project. On the other hand, sometime I see them wander around campus smoking and drinking coffee.

It is still the dream land. Top 10 starting high pay jobs are still in tech/engineering (according to a survey I heard on radio couple months back).

How is the job market at your place? My company and some other shut down their facilities in Singapore due to high cost. They moved to Malaysia, Phillipine, China, etc. But not VN !

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi Paddy Xem bài viết
                        There are jobs, but not as many as before.

Since there are so many people out of job, competition is very high. Employers know this and are very picky.

It all depend on the jobs. I see test engineers stay late past midnight for hot project. On the other hand, sometime I see them wander around campus smoking and drinking coffee.

It is still the dream land. Top 10 starting high pay jobs are still in tech/engineering (according to a survey I heard on radio couple months back).

How is the job market at your place? My company and some other shut down their facilities in Singapore due to high cost. They moved to Malaysia, Phillipine, China, etc. But not VN !
                        Over here in Singapore, engineering jobs are taken up by foreigners, Chinese, Indian, .. because of low pay, slow promotion, ... etc. It's not the top jobs, but it's above average.
                        Locals choose to do Business, finance, stock brokers, real estate agents ... The cost of living here is getting f**g crazy ... I'm getting out of here soon

There are still jobs, but not a lot in R&D, most are sales and support.

Yes, India and Malaysia attracts lots of Engineering firms: Intel, Altera, Avago, Cadence, Mentor Graphics. They don't come to Vietnam. What a shame !!
                        What's their advantage? English !!! Somehow, Penang Malaysia attracts many many Engineering companies. I think the uni there teaches in English.

I blame our government for not investing properly in education for the last 37 years !!! Damn sad !!! ... sorry, was a bit "indignant" and emotional

Comment

• Any dudes in Europe? Man it's tough to get jobs in Europe I guess. They're more "racist" compared to US, Australia and Singapore ...
                          How is engineers' life in Vietnam ?

Comment

Over here in Singapore, engineering jobs are taken up by foreigners, Chinese, Indian, .. because of low pay, slow promotion, ... etc. It's not the top jobs, but it's above average.
                            Locals choose to do Business, finance, stock brokers, real estate agents ... The cost of living here is getting f**g crazy ... I'm getting out of here soon

There are still jobs, but not a lot in R&D, most are sales and support.

Yes, India and Malaysia attracts lots of Engineering firms: Intel, Altera, Avago, Cadence, Mentor Graphics. They don't come to Vietnam. What a shame !!
                            What's their advantage? English !!! Somehow, Penang Malaysia attracts many many Engineering companies. I think the uni there teaches in English.

I blame our government for not investing properly in education for the last 37 years !!! Damn sad !!! ... sorry, was a bit "indignant" and emotional

Yeah, I know about foreigners working in Singapore. I used to work for a company which opened a branch in Singapore. It hired people from Malaysia to work in Singapore. One engineer told me he just walked across a bridge to get to work in Singapore. He earned about 700USD a month (back in 1990), but he said he lived well in Malaysia (he was single then).

I agree with you. The most likely reason is English. Not that we don't have good English speaking people, we don't have good English speaking engineers/technicians. What I heard from Intel was that most applicants in VN failed the interview due to poor communication in English. If anyone here had interview with Intel in SG, please let us know if that is the truth.

Comment

What about you Mr Ape! ? ... pursuing some postgrad degree?
                              I remember downloading IEEE papers for you, which content is alien to me
                              OK, I hope I will pass next summer. My field is the dielectrics.
                              Thank you for the useful papers...

Comment

OK, I hope I will pass next summer. My field is the dielectrics.
                                Thank you for the useful papers...
                                You're welcome

Comment

Về tác giả

Collapse

Luanelek Tìm hiểu thêm về Luanelek

Bài viết mới nhất

Collapse

Đang tải...
                                X