Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Lọc
  • Giờ
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, this is what i think and also based on my experience.
    First of all, you need a very basic English to read the documents. Second, try to understand the subject that you are reading for, otherwise, look like you are reading a cartoon's book (just watch the pictures and guess). If in that way, you don't need to understand in English much, as long as you can understand what is the document talking and focusing about.
    Sorry man, you have to understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, this is how we learned. hehe...

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi tsquare Xem bài viết
      Well, this is what i think and also based on my experience.
      First of all, you need a very basic English to read the documents. Second, try to understand the subject that you are reading for, otherwise, look like you are reading a cartoon's book (just watch the pictures and guess). If in that way, you don't need to understand in English much, as long as you can understand what is the document talking and focusing about.
      Sorry man, you have to understand that I'm not trying to argue with you, this is how we learned. hehe...
      I'm lost! What's your point and advice?

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi Paddy Xem bài viết
        Cũng tùy bác ạ. Những bài viết về kỹ thuật rất "khô khan" so với các mục khác.

Theo ý tớ qua kinh nghiệm học anh văn thì học một ngôn ngữ là học một văn hóa khác. Mình không hiểu rõ văn hóa thì khó mà hiểu thấu đáo ngôn ngữ của họ. Tớ thì khuyên nên đọc truyện, sách báo về đời sống hàng ngày, v.v.
        Yes, correct! Read the topics that you like. It is encouraged to discuss in English. You're welcome to share your experiences and methods!

Comment

• My dear friend, Jeff,

Thank a lot for the documents you send in 2009. These are useful till now!
          Have you returned home?
          You're welcome buddy.
          I'm still a nomad, wandering around D

Comment

• i like watching movies with subtitle or closed caption on. In that way, I can hear or read words on screen and at the same time enjoying all the actions.
            Mãi đi tìm vàng.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi jefflieu Xem bài viết
              Yes, correct! Read the topics that you like. It is encouraged to discuss in English. You're welcome to share your experiences and methods!
              Here were my problems:

1. Poor vocabularies.
              2. Poor knowledge of American culture. This led to poor comprehension of idioms, reading between the lines.
              3 Did not know what subject I would like to read.

So I started out with paperbacks about VN war, both fiction and non-fiction. Of course, I had to use a dictionary everytime. Then I started to guess what the word means using the whole sentence, then compared it to a dictionary. Gradually I built up enough vocabularies to read "harder" novels. All this was done with the purpose of passing a required writing test in my school.

This, then, became a habit. Now I read for fun. My library composes of mostly books by Grisham, Patterson, Clancy.

Comment

• @Padd: How long did you do this , a year, three years or more ?
                Chưa đỗ tú tài, nên vẫn còn phải đi học.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi HTTTTH Xem bài viết
                  @Padd: How long did you do this , a year, three years or more ?
                  he might have learned a lifetime.
                  Mãi đi tìm vàng.

Comment

• "This, then, became a habit..."
                    He live in the USA now, so I think that the time he spent to learn English could not too much.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi HTTTTH Xem bài viết
                      @Padd: How long did you do this , a year, three years or more ?

Do you mean how long have I done this to prepare for the writing test ? In this case, it was only 2 years. It seems like a long time, but actually I only read about ten books or less during this time (not including text books, of course). Once I passed the test, I concentrated on school work. I started reading for fun only in summer time when school was out.

After I got my degree, I found out that I still did not know much about English in a non-technical sense. So I read more, ventured into different topics. I read books about VN war against USA, China, and Cambodia (again, because they interest me). I then started to read books that movies were based on. These are from Grisham, Clancy, Patterson, etc. I also read various magazines and newspaper.

Then came the internet, so I read online news, and joined some forums in English.

Comment

• Nguyên văn bởi KVLV Xem bài viết
                        he might have learned a lifetime.
                        Somebody once said "The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know."

Comment

• Thanks a lot for the experiences that you shared

Comment

Exactly man.

Comment

Another version of this proverb "the more you learn the less you know" (tạm dịch, học nhiều ngu).
                              Knowledge is huge comparing to an ocean, with one's knowledge is like a tiny drop of water.

Talking about reading on the web, my favorite in science news is Phys.Org - Science News, Technology, Physics, Nanotechnology, Space Science, Earth Science, Medicine and world news is cnn.com
                              These sites have given me sights that open to other cultures and knowledge beyond one's comprehension.
                              Last edited by KVLV; 25-07-2012, 06:48. Lý do: spelling
                              Mãi đi tìm vàng.

Comment

Here were my problems:

1. Poor vocabularies.
                                2. Poor knowledge of American culture. This led to poor comprehension of idioms, reading between the lines.
                                3 Did not know what subject I would like to read.

So I started out with paperbacks about VN war, both fiction and non-fiction. Of course, I had to use a dictionary everytime. Then I started to guess what the word means using the whole sentence, then compared it to a dictionary. Gradually I built up enough vocabularies to read "harder" novels. All this was done with the purpose of passing a required writing test in my school.

This, then, became a habit. Now I read for fun. My library composes of mostly books by Grisham, Patterson, Clancy.
                                Excellent experience, Paddy !!
                                I got to admit vocabulary is a big problem. You'll get frustrated when having to look up for every word. But I believe that we'll get through that stage. Be patient, bit by bit!

Comment

Về tác giả

Collapse

Luanelek Tìm hiểu thêm về Luanelek

Bài viết mới nhất

Collapse

Đang tải...
                                X